Sunday, November 17, 2013

Experimental Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Dear Baking World,

Yes, yes, I know every baking blogger insists on posting a chocolate chip cookie recipe. But this recipe is a total experiment and I had no idea how it would turn out. 

I wanted to take the Paradise Bakery Sugar Cookie and with a few neat tricks, turn it into a bonafide chocolate chip cookie recipe. (I see where this trend is going. I'm going to start using this sugar cookie as my base for everything and every one is going to want to kill me and my paradise-ical cookies.) Would the cookie retain its delicious texture? Would it make a crappy chocolate chip cookie but an excellent/out of this world sugar cookie? These were the questions that lingered in my brain as I whipped these cookies together.

So, basics of a chocolate chip cookie that sugar cookies don't have. They typically use brown sugar instead of white. So that was the first swap. Second, I needed to up the caramely factor, so I put in some molasses. And most obviously, I put in chocolate chips. Because I thought the dough was flavorless, I threw in some granulated sugar for good measure. Also, I halved the recipe and because the original only contained one egg, I put a whole egg in the halved recipe. This shouldn't have a ton of effect, but more eggs increases the fluffiness of the cookie because it is a binder.

They turned out great. I had to undercook them because when they cool off, they get too hard (see "hockey pucks.") So I took them out right when the edges started to brown.

But anyways, these were super yummy. Not your typical "chewy on the outside, soft on the inside" type deal, but they were definitely hard to stop eating.



Experimental Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups shortening
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 cup butter
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
4 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the sugars, shortening, butter and molasses. Add the egg. In a separate bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Add slowly to the wet mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. Bake for max ten minutes.










No comments:

Post a Comment