Monday, October 14, 2013

Skinny Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins




Dear Baking World,

Today I am venturing into the realm of breakfast muffins. I have a half can of pumpkin in the fridge and a whole box of oats waiting to be used. Waste not, want not. Besides I am getting tired of oatmeal for breakfast everyday.

I also put a healthy spin on this recipe. Instead of oil, I used yogurt and instead of milk, I used almond milk. Almond milk is my new favorite thing since I discovered that dairy has been making my stomach hurt and almond milk is an excellent alternative. (Also, you're probably wondering why I used yogurt if dairy is causing me problems. I had some in the fridge that needed to be used. But also I did some research, and people with a dairy problem can sometimes eat yogurt, especially yogurts with lots of live cultures, without it being a bother. I'm trying it out.)

These muffins turned out delicious. The real kick was the topping I put on them because melted brown sugar is the nectar of the gods. The only thing about making all yogurt muffins is that they can be a bit gummy. These weren't gummy, but they definitely didn't have the texture of an all oil muffin. However, the difference is so minute that I don't care because I'd rather be healthy than die of a clogged heart due to my love for rich desserts.

P.S. I am so sorry about the lighting in the pictures. The lighting in my apartment is abysmal so I stood in front of the window (it's all about natural lighting) balancing the still-hot pan on one hand and taking shots with my iPhone in the other.



















Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. canola oil
3/4 cup almond milk
1 cup pumpkin puree

Topping
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
handful of oats

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda. Add in old fashioned oats and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, Greek yogurt, canola oil, almond milk and pumpkin puree. Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients. For the topping, mix together the butter, brown sugar and oats. Distribute evenly over muffins.

Bake for 22 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment