Sunday, October 20, 2013

Leftovers In My Cupboard Pumpkin Gluten Free Granola Bars




Dear Baking World,

Friday I ventured into another world, one where baker's deflate and so do breads. It's the world of gluten free. My younger sister recently decided to go gluten free because she's had stomach problems since forever and classic Brita, I've been researching recipes to make for her. (She feels a ton better by the way, so I'm expecting to post many more gluten free recipes on my blog.)

Friday's gluten free experiment involved pumpkin, surprise surprise/tis the season. Oats are gluten free except they are frequently cross contaminated with wheat products during production, so you  have to buy oats that say "gluten free oats" which is what I did.

My roommates and my sister and I went to Woodman's on Friday for the first time and needless to say none of us have seen anything so beautiful. There were three mini aisles of bread. Bread! I had so many fiber bread options I spent twenty years trying to decide which loaf to buy. I think I just ended up grabbing a loaf and praying I didn't just buy a bag of sawdust. Anyways, they also had an aisle full of gluten free products, which is where my sister and I got lost for hours. This is where I found my old fashioned gluten free Bob's Red Mill oats. We also got some cake mixes, an all purpose flour mix and some Cheetos. (Cheetos are gluten free, as are Tostitos blue corn chips.)

We spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure out the self checkout line, but I think both of us fulfilled a life long dream of bagging our own groceries. What is it with kids and bagging groceries? I swear it's a career that I've wanted to have since forever.

Brynn requested something pumpkin and so here is the bar I made called "Leftovers In My Cupboard Pumpkin Gluten Free Granola Bars" because I threw in my leftover coconut and anything else I could find in my cupboard. She loved them. I wrapped them individually so she can grab one from her fridge no matter where she goes. And they're a lot cheaper than buying gluten free granola bars, which go for $5 a box. These babies only cost at 15 cents a piece to make. Bargain Brita!

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Oats





Pre-cooking

Om nom


Leftovers In My Cupboard Pumpkin Gluten Free Granola Bars

2 3/4 cups old fashioned gluten free oats (I crushed them up a bit with my hands)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
dash of cloves
dash of ginger
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. maple syrup (optional)
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips/chunks
1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 11 pan.

In a bowl, crush the oats with hands. It will shrink down to 2 1/2 cups which is perfect. Then whisk in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, vanilla, applesauce, brown sugar, olive oil and maple syrup. Whisk for 1-2 minutes or until slightly creamy.

Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated. Then carefully stir in the craisins, chocolate chips and craisins. Sprinkle a little brown sugar and chocolate chips over the top.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the sides pull a little away from the side of the pan. Don't bake them over 25 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment