Sunday, October 27, 2013

Post-Halloweekend Baking: Gluten Free Apple Cranberry Bars



Dear Baking World,

Ahhh Halloweekend. The blessed time of the year when every single person above the age of eighteen converges on Madison and parties. Not parties. Rages. And then I'm the weirdo who sits on a stool at the party in my Jedi costume and wonders when I get to leave and watch a movie.

That's besides the point. After a long successful weekend with my friends, I decided to whip up some gluten free bars for my little sister to get her week started off right. (She complained that she's tired of eating oatmeal all the time). So here are some bars I made for her. They're a recipe from work that I sneak bits of during work. They're delicious. And yummy. Probably not nutritious, although they're called "Power bars." Yeah right. More like power to your love handle bars. They're delicious but eat them for dessert, not a post work out snack.

Enjoy!

Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Bars
(gluten free!)


2 ¾ cups instant oatmeal
1 ¼ cups frozen apple slices 
1/3 cup dried cranberries 
1.5 sticks butter 
½ cup brown sugar 
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of lemon rind
1 Tbsp. corn syrup (heaping) 
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine the oats and the apples. In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar, salt, lemon rind, corn syrup and vanilla. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Stir liquid into the oat/apple mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.


Cut into bars while they are still warm.


























No comments:

Post a Comment